Get SSL Certificate for Free
Let’s Encrypt is the first free and open CA
To Get SSL Certificate you need to have a valid registered Domain.
- First Go to SSL For Free website
- Enter your website and click on Create Free SSL
- It will ask for domain verification.
- Do one type of domain verification.
- Adding TXT file in DNS management is the best and fastest way to verify Domain.
- Note you have to wait at least 10-20 min after adding TXT Value.
- Verify and Click on Download SSL Certificate.
- It will show the certificates download them.
- It will download 3 files like ca_bundle.crt, certificate.crt, private.key
- You have to convert them in to .cer or .pfx to install in web server.
- Checkout How to convert .Crt files to .PFX or .CER Here
A lot of website owners are reluctant to use SSL due to the additional cost. This left many small websites vulnerable to data and information theft.
A non-profit project called Let’s Encrypt decided to fix this by establishing a free certificate authority.
The purpose of this certificate authority is to make it easier for website owners to get a free SSL certificate. Internet becomes a safer place if more and more websites start using SSL.
The challenge is that installing the free SSL certificate by Let’s Encrypt for a beginner user is quite difficult because it requires coding knowledge and server systems knowledge.
Thankfully, all of the best WordPress hosting companies are now offering free SSL certificate with all their hosting plans (some are using Let’s Encrypt).